Ukraine's ousted defence minister calls for wartime elections 19-Aug 04:13

Ukraine's recently ousted defence minister Mykhailo Fedorov called for wartime elections in a bombshell ​address on Tuesday evening, stating that the wartime ‌nation faced a crisis of governance, in the biggest internal challenge to President Volodymyr Zelenskiy since 2022.

Fedorov's call, delivered in a video address ​posted on Youtube, is the first such demand ​by a major Ukrainian political figure since the beginning ⁠of Russia's full-scale invasion in 2022. The law in Ukraine ​prohibits the holding of elections during wartime.

The 35-year-old Fedorov was ​a longtime ally of Zelenskiy's until his unexpected firing from the defence ministry in July, just six months after he had been appointed, ​vowing sweeping reforms.

"Democracy cannot be held hostage by Russia," ​Fedorov said. "We must find a legal, safe and realistic mechanism which will ‌allow ⁠Ukraine to renew its full democratic process even in the conditions of a long war."

In what appeared to be an open challenge to Zelenskiy, Fedorov said that Ukraine faced a "systemic ​crisis of ​governance".

"The old system ⁠lives by its own rules too often. It protects itself. It is scared of change," ​he said.

Without naming names, Fedorov hit out ​at official ⁠corruption, which he said hurt Ukraine's war effort. The ex-minister recently said he believed that his reform of the defence ⁠ministry's ​procurement processes, responsible for purchasing billions ​of dollars of equipment, contributed to his sacking.

Zelenskiy's office had no immediate comment ​on Federov's statement.