Indonesia prioritises Kalimantan region as wildfire hotspots rise 21-Aug 17:50

Indonesia will tackle wildfires in Kalimantan as a matter of priority, the country's disaster agency said on Friday after identifying a rise in hotspots ​in the region, which shares a border with Malaysia on the ‌island of Borneo.

Here are more details:

- The government's wildfire monitoring website, Sipongi Kemenhut, recorded 1,250 hotspots this week, up from 1,187 a week earlier, with more than 900 detected in ​Kalimantan alone. Some regencies in the region are already suffering unhealthy air quality levels.
- The disaster agency, ​known as BNPB, said it has deployed helicopters to conduct patrols, seed ⁠clouds and drop water bombs to contain the fires in six priority provinces: Riau, ​Jambi, South Sumatra, South Kalimantan, Central Kalimantan and West Kalimantan.
- Nearly 13,000 personnel have been ​assigned to the three provinces in Kalimantan to carry out patrols and ground firefighting operations.

- A total of 3,736 hotspots have been detected so far in August, compared with 758 in ​July, although the daily hotspot numbers have fallen sharply in recent days.
- "The decline (in ​hotspot figures) is a positive development in forest and land fire monitoring. However, it does ‌not ⁠indicate that all the fires have been extinguished or that the risk of forest and land fires has ended," the Indonesian forestry ministry said in a separate statement on Friday.
- Indonesia's weather agency expects El Niño to last into early 2027, with the critical period for forest and ​land fires expected to last ​from August to ⁠September.
- Forestry ministry data showed that 202,004 hectares (499,162 acres) of land had been hit by wildfire from January to July, surging ​from 107,465 hectares burned from January to June.
- Last week, more ​than 100 schools were ⁠closed in Malaysia's Sarawak state to protect children from worsening haze caused by forest fires in neighbouring Indonesia, Malaysia's national news agency reported.
- Separately, the environment ministry said ⁠it ​has inspected fires within the concession area of ​the palm oil company, PT Bintang Harapan Palma, in South Sumatra's Ogan Komering Ilir regency after identifying a ​number of hotspots.